Saturday, October 28, 2006

High Protein diet


Between the two of us, I am the cook and AP is the gardener. Though we do not have any garden or pots for AP to tend to. He keeps our place clear from mess and organised. He is so meticulous and I am so messy that he rides my nerves most of the times.

These days we are experimenting with our diet. Fats and carbs only during the day time and in form of small meals 3 to 4 times. Dinner has to be light and high on protein. Sandwiches, salads, soups and similar ascetic culinary items. Since cooking is my job I always have to make sure that the meal is not just palatable but is also delicious; otherwise this new dietary plan will go up in the smoke very soon.

There are some basic ingredients for a salad that I keep stocked in my fridge - Cucumber, tomato, onions, carrot, cabbage, lettuce & capsicum. Then there are add–ons like asparagus, olives, pickles/gherkin, & mushroom. The dressing comes next - there are various mayo based dressing available in the market but if you are trying to avoid that you need - olive oil and a vinegar. I am using apple cider & herbs.

The veggies go in to the bowl chopped or sliced. The meat you use for salad can be treated in different ways to add a lot to the taste of the salad. The other day I took some broccoli, mushrooms, beetroot & chicken cubes and sautéed them in a pan with olive oil vinegar and salt to taste. Adding this to the salad had an amazing effect. Yet another day I roasted chicken breast and then sliced it finely to add to the salad. Salamis are also a good taste enhancer for salads.

AP loves sea–food but I try and avoid it. For me, food has to not only look good but also smell good. Once in Germany I had been invited to this sit down dinner where they were serving sea food. I was flinching at the site of my colleagues shrieking with joy. Octopuses, shrimps, crabs, mussels and few other such creatures. I survived the night on bread cheese and a little bit of smoked Trout (the only thing that looked and smelled harmless and tasted quite nice). So, when I make shrimp or tuna salad I make my own arrangements.

Tonight I have decided upon pea soup and tuna sandwiches.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ameet said...

I have one rule about food. It can't stare back at me.

10:35 PM, November 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. dat means u dont have suckling pig, ameet? hehehe.

and u sound like a yummy cook. i told MY boyfrnd - with me, he gets a housekeeper - am a fastidious monica geller-type. hehehe. he's sposed to be the handyman cum fixerofallthings. :)

4:55 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Prasann said...

Ameet: I also have the same rule.

CT: My partner is Monica Geller and Mr. Fixit, all in one. I am just a simple cook and even while cooking, I make such a mess in the kitchen. God Bless AP!

2:39 PM, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home